Friday, March 8, 2013

NO WHEAT! Banana spelt muffins

I have given up wheat! It is a dramatic adventure, as I live & breathe baked goods, bread, and pasta. I am experimenting, and often, the experiments are so bad not even the dog wants to eat it. BUT, every once in a while, I have a winner! These muffins are healthy, and SO yummy!



I found this recipe on fannetasticfoods originally, but altered it a bit. Here is my version.

 I usually get about 8 nice sized muffins out of this.

Ingredients:
  • 2 C spelt flour
  • a good swig of maple syrup
  • 1/2 C finely ground flaxseed
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 C  milk
  • 1/2 C plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • Optional add ins: 1/2 C each of: walnuts, sunflower seeds, chopped almonds, chia seeds (which I put in the muffin in the pic)
1. Preheat oven to 300 (spelt bakes more quickly than regular flour!). (I actually set my oven to 350. Experiment!!)
2. In two large bowls, separately mix dry (flour, sugar, flax, cinnamon, baking powder/soda, salt) and wet (bananas, milk, yogurt, add-ins) ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring until mixed.
4. Spoon into a cooking-sprayed or nonstick muffin pan.
5. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Time varies every time I make them. Do a sticky test for doneness. These muffins are moist, so do not overbake.

Now spread with a thick slab of butter, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment