Saturday, April 7, 2012

Experiment successful! Banana Spelt Muffins.


Still in the beginning thrills of my "wheat-free" adventure.

I have had some definite doozys....my kids are reluctant to taste my creations. This one turned out good.

I took a vegan recipe I found online, and tweaked it. Please excuse my "Simpler's method", but t works.

Recipe:
2 cups spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed ( I put overripe bananas in the freezer and thaw them for stuff like this. They look a bit, well, ick, but are fabulous for recipes)
3-4 large tablespoons of honey. I used a wildflower...stronger is probably better.
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 tbsp applesauce. Okay, this is what I started with, as the recipe called for vegetable oil. In the end, I added more applesauce to make the mixture wetter and to a muffin consistancy.
1/3 cup maple syrup (did not add this...but you could)
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (same for nuts. Did not have any, but think walnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts would be yummy too!)

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12-muffin tin with paper liners. (This recipe barely made 9 muffins. Will have to play some more and see if I can make it to 12.)

Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.

Mix the bananas, sugar, egg, applesauce and maple syrup in another bowl. Stir the dry ingredients in gently, being careful not to over-mix.

Divide evenly among the muffin tins, then sprinkle with some of the chopped pecans. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (they’ll look pretty dark, but they’re not burnt!) Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Ok, so the muffins stick to the paper...but once you get them out, they taste really yummy. With butter :).

No comments:

Post a Comment