Friday, January 9, 2015

If you ask me to bring dessert, it will be Rice Pudding.

If you ask me to bring dessert, it will be Rice Pudding, and you better not be dieting.

Rice Pudding is the combination of everything I love: BUTTER, WHOLE FAT, CREAMY MILK...EGGS...SUGAH!....VANILLA...and rice. I am not a fan of rice, but since rice pudding would be nill without it, I take it into my heart.

So, just make at least 3 extra cups of rice the next time you make dinner.

Here is the original recipe I used on allrecipes.com that serves 4. Below is my version, and it really only serves 4 of us, maybe 6 if you don't like big helpings :). The base recipe is really easy to double, and that is what I do when I take this to parties.

Ingredients

  • 3  cups cooked white rice
  • 3.5  cups milk, divided (keep out a 1.2 cup)
  • 1/3 cup-ish white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2/3 cup golden raisins
  • 2 +  tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Fresh nutmeg

In a clean saucepan, combine 3 cups cooked rice, 3 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg, and raisins; cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.

If you can stand it, chill :). Sprinkle with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice once cool.

Voila! Heaven in a pot!  

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE RICE PUDDING! You would be alarmed at how many people hate it. My mom used to make it just by making vanilla cook-and-serve pudding and adding leftover rice, cinnamon, and raisins. I recently learned to make it the :"real" way with just rice, milk, sugar and vanilla. I love it both ways. I can't wait to try out your recipe... it sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel, once you make it a few times you will realize how easy peasy it is! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother made us rice pudding all the time. This post made me cry, as I remembered her stirring and questioning the bunch of us, "Raisins or no raisins this time?"
    Raisins always won out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni, what a sweet message! I ask my kids the EXACT same thing :).

    ReplyDelete