Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Getting intimate with your food ~ Squid



There are times in my life when I have to do things I really don't want to. Afterwards, I group some of these into "Valuable Learning Experiences".

We recently went to the Phillipine fish market. Big bins of fresh fish, lots of people, fishy smell......My son became fascinated with squid, and talked me into buying some to make him Calamari. I have fond memories of Calamari, both from Italy (Frutti di Mare), and Greece (straight out of the ocean into the pot!), so I agreed.

I realized that I have never made Calamari myself, so googled "How to clean & prepare squid". Now you are in for a treat....remove the head and the organs...dig in with your finger and pull out the slimy rest and ink sack....remove the spine....peel off the skin. This leaves you with smelly hands (they say to wear gloves, but I never do. Can't work with gloves on), an interesting biology lesson, and clean little pockets to cut calamari rings out of. Tossed them into some flour, and deep fried.

I made a marinara sauce. On the side, we had grass fed beef (not everyone was excited about squid), and a raw squash salad with basil & arugala.

That was our 4th of July dinner :). Now that I know how much work & detail go into cleaning and preparing squid, I will only eat it at home :).

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! My first experience with squid was in the 4th grade. My teacher was nuts about science and experimentation. He brought in a squid for each of us to dissect. It was fascinating! Then, after we finished our disections, he took the flesh, cleaned it, battered it, and fried it. I was one of only 4 that would eat it. It was sooo good! I ate the big bunch that was left from my classmates who refused to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are interesting little creatures :). Kudos to your science teacher!!

    ReplyDelete