Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pumpkin Chia Seed Pudding

One day at the health food store, a package of Chia seeds came my way. I only knew Chia Pets :). The package promised this Aztec superfood would give me lotsa' Omegas, so of course I bought the big pack.

I went home and soaked my seeds in water, like the directions said.

Ew.

What came out was gelatinous mass, that looked like snot with seeds in it. 

Every once in a while, I would some in muffins or salad dressing, it did not float my boat.

That is, until I found THIS recipe! Here is the original that I found at www.greatist.com:

1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup almond (or skim) milk (I used coconut milk)
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon agave syrup (I used maple syrup)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg

What to Do:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. (I put all ingredients in a pint sized Mason Jar. Perfect)
  2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or up to overnight (or even a few days!)
  3. Scoop it, garnish, and enjoy!
My son is my brave tester, and we decided with like it! BUT, we had the tweak it a bit, so here is our version, and we are sticking with it.

1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup raw or organic whole milk
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 swig vanilla (or bourbon vanilla, if you have some stored on you shelf like MEEEEEEE! It is    fabulous after 6 months of steeping :).) We also tried Hazelnut Extract, yummy!

Same process as above, overnight makes it nice, thick, and a little bubbly smooth.
You will be addicted, and it is healthy as can be (chia seeds are an amazing source of Omega 3, fiber & proteins).
Enjoy that pumpkin, baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment