Thursday, March 24, 2011

Home-made laundry detergent, Take 2


I have a (not so great) top loader washing machine. After trying several home-made detergents, I find this one works best for me.


In a large pickle jar, mix:


2 cups Washing Soda

2 cups Borax

1 cup Baking Soda

1 bar of soap, grated.

A few drops essential oil, if preferred.


Voila! You have detergent! You can try different soap. I find with my top loader the Ivory soap tends to leave soapy residue. I use Fels Naptha laundry soap. It is not "all natural"...may try Dr. Bronner's soap next time.


Add about 1/2 cup to your washer while the water runs in so it can dissolve.


Experiment! This is a great project for kids to make :). Once you start using your own detergent, you won't want to go back. I also notice that the laundry does not get that musty smell if I forget it in the washer :)....

No comments:

Post a Comment